Reporting to the Director of Integrated Marketing, the Technical Journalist is responsible for writing and editing technical documentation and content that is in line with the organizations business goals and content marketing plans. This documentation includes online and off line articles, whitepapers, infographics, video scripts, blogs, social media postings and other business correspondence.
The person must have excellent research skills, must be able to organize ideas, and be able to translate technical terms into text that any reader can understand. The ideal candidate will also have in-depth knowledge in content marketing with experience in writing for different audience segments as well as the ability to write content assets for all the different phases of the buyer’s journey. This person must be comfortable assisting the Director of Integrated Marketing drive faster adoption, higher ultimate utilization and greater proficiency of content marketing programs throughout the organization, which will provide value and, ultimately, drive sales for the company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, write, and edit content including Website pages, Social Media posts, case studies, press releases, data sheets, product briefs, white papers, etc.
- Collaborate with Director of Integrated Marketing and business segment to align content with business goals.
- Assist Director of Integrated Marketing and business in planning storyboards that segment different audiences in different phases of the buyer’s journey.
- Interview subject matter experts and write and edit technical articles and case studies.
- Analyze existing and potential content, focusing on reuse and single-sourcing opportunities.
- Produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience.
- Write easy-to-understand user interface documentation.
- Closely work with CPO and product managers to write, edit and publish new product information.
- Plan, develop and create product and company related presentations.
- Minimum five (5) years experience writing content related to power, energy, electrical infrastructure, real-time systems, etc.
- BA/BS in electrical engineering, or technical journalism or equivalent experience in the electrical / power system industry.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated effectiveness working across organizational levels and with cross-functional teams that include customers, engineering and senior management.
- Superior organizational and time-management skills; demonstrated effectiveness managing multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Strong problem solving and independent decision-making; demonstrated thoroughness and attention to detail.
- Ability to influence and change stakeholder and partner perceptions about the value of the right content delivered to the right person at the right time.
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation paying attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures.
- Experience in content marketing or an in-depth understanding of how to write for different audiences in different phases in the buyer’s journey.
- Excellent written skills in English.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and SharePoint.
- Plan, prepare, implement and manage project plans.
- Work in teams and influence participants in a positive way.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent