As a part of the Generation Management and Scheduling system, the Reserve Management assists the system operator to continuously monitor dynamic parameters that determine the control area’s minimum reserve requirements.
Reserve Management maintains a constant vigil over required system reserves including:
- Regulating reserve - spinning reserve immediately responsive to automatic generation control commands
- Contingency reserve - spinning and non-spinning reserve sufficient to reduce Area Control Error to NERC performance requirements within 10 minutes
- Additional reserve for interruptible imports - reserve that can be made effective within 10 minutes
- Additional reserve for on-demand obligations to other entities or control areas
- Notification whenever the available reserve in a class falls below the corresponding required value