Cable Ampacity Software - IEC Standard
The IEC 60502 standard* applies to extruded insulation power cables rated from 1 kV to 30 kV.
The IEC 60364-5-52 standard* applies to low voltage cables rated less than 1 kV. This standard applies to both underground and aboveground applications.
The cable ampacity calculation module derates the cable ampacity based on the parameters listed here below.
*Additional Module - Not included in ETAP Base Package
Cable Raceway Installations
The ampacity calculation program handles both aboveground (A/G) and underground (U/G in duct and buried) installations.
- A/G Conduit (in thermally insulated wall, attached to wall, unventilated channel, ventilated channel in floor, or masonry)
- A/G Trays (perforated or imperforated)
- Air Drop (suspended or on insulators)
- Architrave/Window Frame
- Building Voids (in building, cable ducting, or ceiling/suspended floor)
- Channel (open or ventilated)
- Embedded Direct (in moldings or masonry with or without mechanical protection)
- Masonry (in cable ducting)
- Open and Clipped Direct (on wall or under ceiling)
- Trunking (on wall, suspended, skirting trunking, flush floor, or embedded)
- U/G Buried (in conduit)
- U/G Duct (in ground)
- Wire Mesh
The cable ampacity calculator is the perfect software tool for computing the derated ampacity based on the ambient and conductor temperatures. In addition, the user can either select the base temperature provided by the manufacturer or the operating temperature of the cable.
- Base Ambient Temperature
- Base Conductor Temperature
- Operating Ambient Temperature
- Operating Conductor Temperature
Soil Resistivity Correction
The soil resistivity is an important thermal parameter for actual underground installations. ETAP, as a cable thermal analysis application, allows you to consider the following:
- Base Soil Resistivity
- Operating Soil Resistivity
Cable Layout in Tray
ETAP’s cable ampacity simulation module derates the cable ampacity based on the following cable layouts:
- Conduit External Diameter and Channel Depth
- Spacing from Wooden Wall (based on cable overall diameter)
- Flat layout - Touching
- Trefoil layout
- Horizontal layout – Touching
- Horizontal layout - Spaced
- Vertical layout – Touching
- Vertical layout - Spaced
- Number of Trays
- Circuit Clearance
The ampacity simulation program for aboveground (trays, air drop, and more) and underground (in duct and direct buried) derates the cable ampacity based on:
- Number of circuits as limited based on the standard
Alert for Allowable Ampacity
ETAP, as a cable ampacity calculation software, provides alerts to the user when a critical situation occurs such as overloading. A critical situation may deteriorate the cable and tremendously reduce its lifetime. The alerts in ETAP can be based on the options listed below.